How to start an ecommerce store on CJDropshipping
Here's how to start your own ecommerce store on CJDropshipping.
Here's how to start your own ecommerce store on CJDropshipping.
What is CJDropshipping? In short, CJdropshipping is a wholesale company that provides one-stop dropshipping service. Established in 2014, the Chinese-based firm helps online stores with product sourcing, order processing, shipping and basically everything required to fulfill dropshipping.
You can even get warehouse service from anywhere around the world if you need it. That includes taking photos and videos of the goods you’re dropshipping, product packaging and branding, as well as API support. The latter (API support) is up there with the best CJdropshipping features because it lets you connect your online store with ecommerce tools like Shopify, eBay, Woocommerce, Shopee, and Lazada. Think of it as Oberlo and AliExpress rolled into one.
In this article, we dive into the workings of CJdropshipping and tell you how you can use it to grow your ecommerce business.
One of the biggest selling points for CJdropshipping is that you get a wide range of services for free. There are no sign-up costs, no monthly subscriptions, no minimum order requirements, and no cost per item that you sell.
You don’t even need a warehouse to start CJ drop ship trading; you can get warehouse services on the platform. However, you will be charged warehousing fees for any items shipped to CJdropshipping’s warehouses that are based in the U.S. There are also fees for additional services like custom packaging, logos and labels.
Other than the aforementioned, the rest of CJdropshipping’s services are free for dropshippers. Here’s a 3-step guide on how the CJdropshipping process works.
These are items that are stored in CJdropshipping warehouses, not in your store. That’s the whole point of dropshipping – CJ stock goods for you so that you don’t have to stock them yourself. Simply search the CJdropshipping catalog for the item you want, and the company will avail it for you to sell. The stock is completely free1.
In case the product you want is not available, you can post a sourcing request for it. CJ will try to find it from a suitable supplier and add it to the already-vast catalog. CJdropshipping has over 400,000 items for sale across 13 product categories2 availed by over 400 suppliers3. It’s not comparable to big players like Amazon, but chances are you’ll find the item you want to sell. Just in case it’s not there, don’t hesitate to make a sourcing request. This option will come in handy when you identify rare yet winning products.
All CJ drop ship products are screened for quality by the company itself. It’s not like AliExpress or Alibaba where you have to vet suppliers on your own for quality control. And if you feel like the process of sourcing for products from CJ is a bit more overwhelming than you anticipated, you can request for a private dropshipping agent. A personal CJ agent links your business with suppliers and warehouses, thus ensuring that you always get the items you want to list on your dropshipping business. Among other things, they find products for you, do quality control, customize packaging and expedite shipping. This can be invaluable to a startup that’s just getting into dropshipping and still trying to get the hang of it.
There’s a CJ app as well as APIs that integrate with multiple ecommerce platforms. These include eBay, Shopify and WooCommerce. Regardless of the platform on which your business is based, you can link your online store with CJdropshipping. This will help with automation of inventory management and order fulfillment.
You can also list products that are available on CJ’s catalog directly on your ecommerce site. Each product has a “List” button that allows you to copy product details from CJ to your site. There’s also a “Connection” option that you can use to link one product with another. This is helpful when you want to show your buyers alternative products to the one they’re looking at. You can also use it to link products that are usually bought together.
When your customer places an order, CJdropshipping processes it and ships the item to your door. Processing time takes a day, which is much better than the up to 5 days that are typical with AliExpress4. CJ handles the shipment too.
As a dropshipper, most of your work simply revolves around linking your ecommerce business with CJ, marketing the products you’ve listed on your dropshipping store, and paying for CJ’s order fulfillment services. The company then processes and ships orders on your behalf. If you opt into the CJ Packet (which is the equivalent of ePacket by AliExpress), delivery of products can take as short as four days.
It’s worth mentioning that you can do CJ drop shipping of items wholesale. In which case, they will process the order and ship your products to one of the company’s warehouses in China, Germany, Indonesia, Thailand or the U.S.A.
Creating a CJdropshipping account is completely free. Simply head to the website or download the CJ app on your mobile device and select “Register”.
Once your account is fully set up, you can link it to your ecommerce business. CJ integrates with many popular platforms for online stores, including WooCommerce, Shopify, eBay, Etsy, Shopee, BigCommerce, Magento, Squarespace, Lazada, ShipStation, and Shoplazza.
In case you host the store on your own website, then you can link it to CJdropshipping using API. This may require a bit of coding. But if you’re not handy with code, you can always hire someone from an affordable freelance site like Fiverr or Upwork.
After connecting your online store with CJdropshipping, log into your account and start picking items to sell. CJ will automatically list them in your store. But you may want to do a manual check just to ensure that images and product descriptions are relevant and detailed enough for your customers.
When a buyer makes a purchase from your store, CJdropshipping will process, fulfill and ship it directly to them. The company uses a variety of shipping methods, including the USPS, ePacket, DHL and PostNL.
You also have the option to choose CJPacket, which is CJ’s own dropshipping service. In this case, the shipped item is assigned a unique tracking number for tracing the shipment. Besides, CJPacket lets you choose a desired method of shipping depending on the nature of the product. Options include:
A good number of CJ dropshipping reviews list the platform’s one-stop service as its biggest draw. Beyond that, CJ was created specifically for dropshippers. It has an intuitive design and impressive ability to seamlessly integrate with online stores hosted on various platforms. You can use CJ whether your dropshipping business is based on Shopify, Etsy, eBay or any other platform.
Plus, CJdropshipping gives you the option to choose between two business models: online arbitrage or wholesaler. Under online arbitrage (or retailer arbitrage), you can get goods at wholesale prices (lower cost) and sell them at a higher price for a profit margin. Should you choose the wholesale model, CJ will allow you to buy products in bulk and store them in the company’s warehouses.
Below are additional benefits of CJdropshipping:
1. Good quality control – on platforms like AliExpress, the responsibility of vetting suppliers and products for quality rests on dropshippers. But if you use CJdropshipping, the company performs free quality screening on each product before sending it out to your customers. Just in case you want to be absolutely sure about the quality, you can order product samples before listing them on your store.
2. Large product catalog – with over 400,000 items, CJdropshipping has quite an impressive catalog. And it is still growing. In case you want to sell a product that’s not available on CJ yet, you can place a sourcing request and they’ll find a supplier to avail it. This gives your store the chance to list winning products that are hard to come by on other platforms.
3. Free warehouses – Cjdropshipping’s products are stored in the company’s warehouses and are free to stock6 if you drop shipping directly from a US warehouse. You’re only charged a fee if you want to use international warehouses. Cjdropshipping currently has two warehouses in the U.S. and six others across China, Germany, Indonesia, and Thailand5.
4. Customized and branded packaging – while many dropshipping platforms use generic packaging, CJ gives dropshippers the chance to add their logos and branding on delivery boxes. Simply design the packaging, add it to your account and link the design with the product you’d like customized. CJdropshipping will print on demand when fulfilling orders of that product.
5. Flexible order fulfillment – CJdropshipping lets you choose between manual and automatic order fulfillment. Under the manual system, you will have to input orders yourself manually or import the information from a spreadsheet. Should you choose automation, CJ will automatically process and ship orders on your behalf. Your customers will get tracking numbers for each shipment.
6. Multistore capabilities – if you have more than one dropshipping store, you can connect all of them to CJdropshipping. And it doesn’t matter the platform on which your stores are based. For example, you can link a Shopify store and an Etsy store on one CJ account. Further, it allows you to create sub-accounts that your partners or employees can log into and help you manage your ecommerce business.
7. Multiple methods of payment – CJ drop ship puts various methods of payment at your disposal. The company has a CJ wallet that you can preload like you would a debit card. In addition to that, it supports credit card, PayPal, wire transfer and WeChat Pay.
8. Reliable customer support – there’s a 24/7 WhatsApp and live chat support on CJdropshipping. In case you need more help, the company gives you the option to hire a private agent for a fee.
9. Affordable service – perhaps the biggest selling point for CJdropshipping is that it has great deals for dropshippers. There’s no sign-up fee, no monthly fee, no fee per item sold and free warehouse service as long as you’re not using an international warehouse. All these free services, combined with the fact that the site has no minimum order quantity (MOQ) requirements, make CJ an economically viable option for dropshippers.
There are many positive CJ dropshipping reviews on the web. But that’s not to say that it’s completely free of drawbacks. For one, the no-fees structure is offset by the costs associated with additional services.
For example, if you dropship products that are available in a domestic warehouse, you won’t have to pay any fees other than product cost and shipping. However, if you need CJ to store an item and later ship it, then warehouse fees may apply.
Warehousing fee is scrapped for new customers for the first 30 days. After that, you have to pay $0.80 per cubic meter, rising to $1.50 depending on how long the item stays in the warehouse. Below are more cons of CJdropshipping:
1. Shipping individual items may be costly – the prices you’ll get on CJdropshipping are comparable to those on AliExpress. And this means CJ is not necessarily the cheapest alternative as far as online marketplaces. But you do stand to score lower prices if you order items in bulk.
2. Could use a better return and refund policy – while CJdropshipping allows customers to return items and get refunds, the process is not quite straightforward. If, for example, a customer contacts you for a return over damaged goods, the company requires that the customer takes photo or video evidence. You then have to forward them to CJdropshipping, including a screenshot of the conversation where the customer made the claim. Only then can the company start processing a return and/or refund request. This is quite a process and may be a deterrent to customers who prefer simpler return and refund policies.
It takes anywhere between 2 and 22 days for CJdropshipping to ship and deliver a product to the U.S. The wide range in time is because the exact number of days depends on:
USPS+ is the fastest way to ship with CJdropshipping. An ordinary item (like a pair of shoes) will take 2 to 7 days to reach an American-based customer. The next best alternative is CJPacket, which takes 7 to 12 days. Ordinary USPS and CJPacket YDS take 10 to 20 days and 12 to 22 days respectively7.
Again, the exact time will depend on the origin of the item and location of the customer. So, if a product is being delivered from a U.S.-based warehouse to a U.S.-based customer, then they can expect it within 2 days of shipping with USPS+. But if the same product is originating from, say China, it may take as long as 7 days. Of course, heavier and bulkier goods take more time to ship.
It’s also worth mentioning that shipping times do not include processing times. Processing generally takes 24 to 48 hours if the product is already available in a CJdropshipping warehouse. If not, then you’ll have to place a sourcing request first, after which processing will now take place. This entire process will take anywhere between 3 and 5 days.